The late Queen Elizabeth II wanted her second son, Andrew
Mountbatten-Windsor, to be given a prominent role promoting
”national interests”.
Papers published by ministers show that the late Queen made it
known that she was keen for Andrew to take on the role of trade
envoy when her cousin, the Duke of Kent, decided to step back from
it.
A memo to the then Foreign Secretary, Robin Cook, written in
2000 by Sir David Wright, who was then chief executive of British
Trade International, said ”The Queen’s wish is that the Duke of
Kent should be succeeded in this role by the Duke of York.”
The memo continues ”The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York
should take a prominent role in the promotion of national
interests. No other member of the Royal Family would be available
to succeed the Duke of Kent.”
And it concludes ”The Duke of York’s adoption of his role would
be a very natural fit.”
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor took on the role in 2001, after the
departure from it of the Duke of Kent.
The message is one of a number of papers shared by government
ministers after the Liberal Democrats tabled a Humble Address
calling for the publication of papers relating to Andrew
Mountbatten-Windsor’s role as trade envoy and also to any vetting
and correspondence from Peter Mandelson.
It follows fresh controversy about the friendship between Andrew
Mountbatten-Windsor and Jeffrey Epstein, the convicted sex
offender, with whom he maintained a relationship over many
years.
The papers also shed some light on Andrew’s personality and
demeanour. They include notes that the former prince said he
preferred to visit what he called ”more sophisticated countries” –
his role included large amounts of international travel as he
represented British business concerns overseas.
And the same documents show that Andrew expressed a desire to
see theatre rather than ballet and that his specialist interests
included ”high-tech matters” as well as trade.
The papers released on May 21 don’t mention Peter Mandelson.
The call for publication also comes after Andrew
Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested earlier this year on suspicion of
misconduct in public office. He was released, without charge, under
investigation after almost 12 hours in police custody.
The former prince lost his royal titles and honours in October
2025. King Chares removed his HRH and Prince through Letters Patent
and asked the Lord Chancellor to strike the title of Duke of York
from the Roll of Peerage.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains eighth in line to the throne.
He now lives away from the public eye on a farm on the Sandringham
estate, the private property of The King.



